Disasters devastate lives and livelihoods and affect hundreds of millions of people every year. And it is the more vulnerable who suffer most, with more than 90 per cent of disaster-related deaths being in developing countries.
Emergency Response Unit is an integral & well define department of Pakistan Red Crescent Society, Sindh Provincial branch. Through Emergency Response Team (ERT) activities PRCS, Sindh has been engaged to educate, train & prepare people at community, school, university & at institutional basis to prepare against an emergency situation. This department facilitates & works on multi diementational approach where provides first aid, relief services during any emergency.
Currently Sindh provincial branch has been conducting trainings & induction programmes on regular intervals to strengthen the ERT by keeping appropriate quality standards, Under ICRC funded program and PHQ has developed Emergency Response Team in 5 zones of Karachi city as pilot project.
ERT – Emergency Response Team – is about readiness, people helping people, rescuer safety, and doing the greatest good for the greatest number. ERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens will be initially on their own and their actions can make a difference.
Through Basic ERT training, citizens can organize themselves and use spontaneous volunteers to:
• Manage utilities and put out small fires
• Treat the three medical killers by opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating for shock
• Provide basic medical aid,
• Search and rescue
• Organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers to be effective
• Collect disaster intelligence to support first responder efforts.
Besides intervening in disaster based activities ERTs provides services in:
• Capacity building of organizations in emergency drills
• Compliment organization to draft work plan for prior & post disaster activities
• Provide emergency first aid training at community level
For further information, contact with: